Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Two Simple Rewards

REWARD STORY #1:

This morning we had a normal morning. It was one of those mornings that was really loud (most are). Analise was crying and her cry is annoyingly loud. That baby has some powerful pipes, enough to blast your eardrums to bits, never again to heal. So, she was crying, I was trying to fill out some last minute emergency forms for school, remembering to pass out the vitamins, find socks, remember my protein shake, grab my phone, and on and on. Instead of growing impatient and freaking out which is most typical of me, I kept saying, "I'm ok, all is well, we can do this! Everyone take a deep breath,...ready...and inhale,....exhale". I really have to do this when she is crying while we are busy getting ready. That little princess really puts the heart attack feeling right out there just hanging in the air, for all to feel. This morning in particular, I felt like I was doing a dance in the kitchen, running this way and that, throwing out reminders, "don't forget your swim bag!", "remember to bring the sheet music!", "oops, you forgot to take your plate up to the sink! Why is your folder here and not in your bag....ooooh, I forgot to pack your lunch!", "5 more minutes,....whoops, your hair isn't done yet!", ...(remember the Sam's Club list!). That last few minutes before moving toward the garage gets kinda hectic. The whole time I have different kids giving Annie her pacifier back between screams. So, we made it without me yelling or even raising my voice once. Miracle. Like most days our morning family prayer was said after everyone was buckled up in the car. (I find that I cannot gather the little chickens any other way.)

Kids are dropped off except for Ethan Kindergartener who is home today due to a different parent-teacher conference schedule. It's fun to have his company and help. Our Sam's Club experience went very well, Ethan helped move around big cans of peaches, and Annie fell asleep, I gathered food for the family and even get to talk to the 2 little boys who were keeping me company. Back out to the car, smooth transition, kids in car buckled, food in car thanks to Ethan again helping with the cans of peaches. The baby was now in a happy mood because of the cat nap.

I decided to go run the car through the car wash and whoa! you would have thought we were headed back to Disneyland. We started to drive there but realized I already passed the car wash and would have to turn around. I start to make the U- turn and Bronson says, "hey I see the temple!" I explained that that building was not the temple but as we drove a little further the temple came into view. I said, "there- over there...do you see it? That's the temple." And then I thought, we have time. Let's go drive by before the car wash. And for the first time in a long time, I felt like I wanted to just slow down and enjoy my day with them. I get so tired of rush rush rushing around. As we got closer to the temple I felt a familiar feeling. It was the feeling of, "I am living my dream right here, right now. I love being a mom." And JUST as I was thinking that, and the big beautiful temple was coming closer and closer into view, (we drove right in front of it) Ethan said, "I am so glad I have a mom like you." Just like that. Stated so easily. I could have missed it even. But, I didn't. I heard it in my ears and it rang through my whole body- how cool that he said that right when I was thinking my happy thought.

REWARD STORY #2:

We were having our family gathering last night when we again say a family prayer to close our day and thank our Heavenly Father for all that we have. We usually gather in the boys' room but because Bronson went to bed early we gathered in the living room, a room that we hardly ever use. We waited a minute while Landon finished playing a piece on the piano. We had such a nice family dinner, everyone wanting to tell about their day, and enjoying having Eric home at the right time. Baby was smiling, and everyone was happy. Camden was sitting extra close to me last night and claiming that he and I didn't get to spend any time together and saying things like, "I just want to stay up and spend time with you." My response was, "Nice try...you are going to bed, sir." So, as we sat, I said, "ok, let's hurry, I need to go rock the baby before I go on a walk." (I love occasional night walks with a neighbor where we solve life's problems together). Then Camden, who was sitting next to me with his arms lovingly around me said, "I love when I am in bed and you rock the baby. I just think, 'Ahhhh...it's MOM!" (His bed is in the room downstairs, almost right below where the rocking chair sits. I never knew he could hear me rocking her back and forth from the room below as he is laying in bed falling asleep. It gave me such Camden insight.)

When I get down on myself for all the mistakes I make as a mom, this is all I need. To get confirmation now and then, from my children, that they feel loved by their mother is the the most rewarding feeling I could ever experience. Perfectly simple.

7 comments:

Christie said...

Beautiful, my friend. Thanks for sharing. This is JUST what I needed today.

Shari said...

Beautiful!! Thanks so much for sharing. I live for those moments too.

Tessa and Jeff said...

Seriously? I was in tears reading that... and I think now I finally understand how you feel (We've had a lot of talks about things like this). Even though it's only been 6 weeks I get those little moments already. When I've had a rough night with a crying baby and just want to give up, he smiles at me in the cutest way; and then everything is ok again! Funny how that works huh? Well, being a mom is just great! Love ya

DBarr said...

You're blog my inspired reading for the day! Thanks

Jessie said...

Two wonderful stories of how much love there really is in a family, even if it's a busy, loud one. So glad you took the time to take it all in. You are very blessed to have your beautiful family! Your boys seem so helpful and nice...mine seem to be the opposite usually. Maybe if I yelled less, and followed your example, we'd have more peace.
Im always praying for much more patience, as it does NOT come naturally.

You are doing a great job! Thanks for sharing these neat stories.

Becky said...

Jessie, I have to write these rare cases down due to the fact that I yell a lot too. I try and try and try and won't ever stop trying. They love me even still! I want too look back and remember how it really was mingled with some really sweet moments. :)

Elise said...

Almost brought tears to my eyes. I say almost bc I was biting my nails while reading and just when I got teary eyed I hit some sort of hang nail. YOUCH. Totally ruined the moment! That was so sweet thinking about Camden hearing you rock the baby and feeling all secure and loved. That is awesome. You are doing such a great job--rush rush rushing and all. Thanks for sharing.