Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Little House on the Prairie-Like

One of Eric's patients invited us out to his farm last Saturday evening. He had been telling Eric that he needs to bring the kids out to see his horses. So, Eric took him up on his offer. He and his wife were the nicest couple I have ever met. It wasn't all that far from where we live but by the boys' comments you would have thought they had never set eyes on a farm, a barn, or an animal.

They took us on a carriage ride in a big circle through their cute country neighborhood. As soon as the horses set off, I could feel the carriage underneath us kind of squeak and bounce, as a real live carriage should. And the 2 inch ledge on the side didn't make one feel all that secure. My thoughts went back to pioneer times and also to Little House. Eric was Michael Landon and I was Caroline. Our new friends could have been maybe say,...Mr. Edwards and his wife, leading the team off to church or something. There were dogs running next to us barking, there were little streams flowing, lots of run down barns and very old homes,...there were even neighbors out waving to us as we went by. My kids loved it. We loved it. They want us back out to ride the horses by saddle next time. If this is how my boys are going to get some farm/horse time, I am in. They say they are eternally grateful for the way Eric was able to help him, but I am really grateful they shared that experience with us. Thanks "Mr. and Mrs. Edwards" for a fantastic time!
Here he is: the super nice guy who shared his farm and horses with us.

6 comments:

Christie said...

I LOVE Little House. Am reading the first in the series to my kids right now in hopes of brainwashing them into loving LIW as much as me. Lucky you for getting the real thing. Are any of his patients owners of chocolate factories? If so, I'd like to cash in on that favor.

Becky said...

No, but that guy runs the best icecream shop in the valley. They offered to take us there afterward but we had some dinner plans w/ friends. What was I thinking???

Jacqueline said...

Becky,

That looks like great fun. Do you think if we move to Logan he could be a patient of Wade's and we'd get a horse and carriage ride too?! So glad you were able to go and the boys were able to have so much fun. Yea for Logan and nice Logan people!

Elise said...

I always wondered what it would be like to take a ride through Walnut Grove! Instead of Mary, Laura, and Carrie, you have Landon, Camden, and Ethan. . . and I guess Bronson could be Albert. Fun.

Good thing the guy didn't feed his horses big cans of chili before the ride eh? (Seinfeld episode).

Oh yes, and I love the pictures on the side. I love that picture of Kori's little hand. So sweet.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Becky...that looks like so much fun! What a great treat for you guys.
Love, Mom

Leslie said...

YEEEE-HAWWWWW!!