I felt so included for a split second today as I looked at some pictures that a nurse took of the hospital scene that Eric is a part of. It's the real inside scoop- things you can't just walk upon when you stroll through the hospital. I've always wanted to be a "fly on the wall" and watch Eric at work, and then again, I thought maybe I wouldn't want to be. What would happen if I fainted while trying to observe? People running to me, trying to catch me, yelling things like, "get his wife outta here!"...attention taken away from the real patient in need. So, this is good enough for me. Thanks Chris, for these action shots.
Here is the team of scrub techs, nurses, x-ray techs, etc.,...all suited up in their lead aprons, ready to go. They have to take many x-rays during the surgery to make sure "things" are placed correctly in the bone, etc. So, they have to wear the lead aprons to protect themselves from all the radiation flying around in the room. (Guaranteed you will not be lost with my layman's medical terms here.) 
And then, here is Eric, probably gearing up mentally for the procedure. This was today's surgery. He came home looking a little like he died and came back to life about 5 minutes before arriving home. It was a 10 hour surgery- he reports it went well, but was very difficult. He stands there the whole time and sometimes he will take a 10 minute break to go to the bathroom. (One time my mom asked him if he couldn't wear some kind of bag to "go to the bathroom" in. He busted up,..and said, "like a colostomy bag!? I don't think that would fly!") The kind nurses take good care of him and have been known to feed him bites of food under his mask. I cannot imagine standing in one place for 10 hours. Thank goodness for the old lady support hose I bought him. No varicose veins for this man, please. 
Then, there is this good guy, Ben. He is the PA who works mostly with Eric, he is the one who stands there with Eric helping him with the surgery- he never complains, he is always happy and positive, he is awesome and we are lucky to know him and his cute family.
Here they are, concentrating. It looks like they are the only ones in the room, but not so. There are lots of people doing lots of different things. The anesthesiologist who gets stuck in Eric's cases are bummed when they find out it's a long one. But, I don't feel sorry for them. They get to sit down. 

Eric has already been working here at this hospital for almost 3 years. He and I don't know where the time goes- it's been flying by a little eery-like. I appreciate Eric for all his hard work- his is an amazing man at work and at home. This chosen profession- sure isn't an easy money-maker. His work area, so tiny, so close to all the nerves/spinal cord,...(I imagine it's like playing Operation. Yes, in fact, I am sure it's just like that, but without the buzzer- or the red light in the nose.) His responsibilities and stress never end. He is on call 24 hours a day with his pager and phone always attached to him. I do think he enjoys the challenge most of the time- and when the patient comes back weeks later and tells him that they feel better, it makes it worth it. Above all I am grateful for the opportunities and blessings that we are given every day. It's all been such an interesting/fun/hard/busy/happy/scary/challenging journey. And all the friends made along the way- priceless!
And for a very random close to this post: For my family's viewing pleasure, I found an old like 1950's-60's picture of a very familiar Eastland Mall. It brought back memories and I so wish CA was the way it used to be. So cool, right? Hello Mervyns! 
Monday, May 10, 2010
Like a Fly on the Wall
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
Your hubby is such a rock star. I can't stand for one hour, let alone ten. That is awesome.
Seriously! 10 hours? Standing? My veins would have burst right out of the skin by now. Makes me feel tired with swollen cankles just thinking about it!
He does work very hard doesn't he? Good job Eric! Not many people can do what you do. . . and do it well too!
Oh, and good ole Eastland Mall! How or where did you "come across" this picture?
I cannot fathom being responsible for someone's body!!! Wow, it really is amazing what these surgeons do.
Love the mall pic. I remember stores looking like that. What an old hag I am.
What a cool dude! Can't believe that's my brother! Weird... I would love to go observe one of his surgeries. Not necessarily a 10 hour one, but yeah. Cool cool stuff!
Love this post! I realize that although I knew you guys for five years of residency, I never had the privledge of seeing Eric in action (or Marc doing a procedure, either, for that matter).
Great pics of Eric in action!
I remember May Company. We used to drive to Grossmont Mall from El Centro and school shop occasionally at the San Diego one. Hot stuff.
Becky, I really enjoyed looking at those photos. It's cool to see someone I know actually doing that. As always it's so refreshing to read your blog. Analise is sweet! all that pink! and I felt very motivated by your "no regrets" theme this year.
Great photo's, thanks for sharing them! It really is amazing what he does and he should be so proud of what he's accomplished! Amazing he can stand that long and only 1 bathroom break, wow!!! And you are an amazing woman and mom to share that journey w/him and you should be proud of yourself too! What a great family!
Post a Comment