While vacationing at the beach with my side of the family- my mom, dad, sisters, bro.-in-laws, and all the cousins, I started pondering the "perfect vacation" for families. I know Eric's dream isn't to lay on the beach all day, ...he likes to be moving. But then again, his dream isn't to be around crowds like at Disneyland or ....any other kid place,...I began wondering what our perfect family vacation (where all could relax and have fun) would be. Vacation is ALWAYS vacation for kids, right? The parents could be bleeding at the finger tips and have swollen feet and pounding headaches from all the work that goes into it, but the kids will never notice. They will just say, "this is so fun!" But, is it possible to have a relaxing time with little kids on a family vacation? Let's explore that question for a moment to find my answer.
We rented a big RV trailer to take with us. I wasn't about to be camping at almost 6 months pregnant in a tent, trying to juggle food in a cooler, and driving for 2 days with our "stuff" strapped into Eric's truck, hoping it doesn't get stolen. So, we tried the RV idea. Not bad, I must say,...if you can get over the fact that other people have used it. I have some issues with that, but it's nottin' a little Clorox can't handle. Using the toilet in the night sure beats the heck out of tripping in the dark all the way to the bathrooms, hoping you don't get assaulted by a crazy person. Also, an RV is a good idea if you can accept the fact that it's a big trailer, and you will only get like 7 miles/gallon while pulling the thing, (if you own a Toyota truck that is....love that thing, love how it looks,... and love that engine, but NOT efficient for hauling...sshhh...don't tell Eric I just "dogged" on his truck.) So, ...with the right preparation, remembering to keep it simple, it's not a bad way to go. Once at the beach campground and parked, (you also might have to ask for some help in that area too,...if you don't frequently back up 30 foot RVs into very tight tight campsites, ....but that is all I am mentioning about that.)...and there! the set up was done. Crank the windows open and waa-lahh, ready to play.
All the cousins were so happy to be together and immediately started swinging on the big rope swing hanging from the giant tree, and we all began catching up with the family. By the time we got there, evening was upon us, (big time traffic through the lovely down town Malibu) and I brought plenty of frozen food (stashed in the RV freezer), to keep things easy for myself, but Les had plenty of stew and cornbread with honey butter to share. Yes, thank you...we did share and it was so good.
For the days after, the kids woke up enjoying their little trailer bunk beds, (we only had one kid fall out in the night due to the slippery nature of the sleeping bag....very loud and scary boom from top bunk in the night...) we ate, every morning we rode bikes through the campground and down to the beach, then packed our lunch and snacks. By noon we were sitting on the beach, all of us in a row and umbrellas up, with kids in front of us running around. Other then wanting food now and then the kids spent their days playing in the tide pools, digging in the sand, playing in the water, boogie boarding, finding both small and very large sand crabs, then killing them by feeding them turkey from the sandwiches, and just being happy. Eric struggled a bit to just "do nothing", but ended up borrowing a book from Rod which made him feel more productive. He did bring his road bike and got a couple of good morning rides in, which made me happy for him. But, all in all, that party animal was in bed early and not wanting to stay up too late around the fire eating s'mores. Side note: Did you know? (of course you did) that he and I are so different, opposites, in fact?! We are complete opposite ends of a magnet- totally,...which is why we just cannot stay away from each other. We are pulled together by a force I can't explain, and then once together again by that unexplainable natural pull of the earth/moon/water,...we say, "wow, we are so opposite, aren't we?" But, I digress.
We did this routine everyday while there. Bronson laid down and took a nap everyday, willingly. Oh, the temperature outside was so perfectly perfect, the breeze so refreshing! He would just lay under a blanket and drift off to "dream about (way-gos) Legos", as he always tells me. Other than having to use public bathrooms, I have decided that this was a true vacation, even with little kids to take care of and to slather each morning with sun block. I relaxed on the beach all day long, just talking, and every once in a while getting off my chair for a Smash ball game with my polar opposite. How can you get better than that? My sisters woke up in the mornings to go work out, but I have given up on that for now, until this baby is born. Between the beach cruisers, the beach, the sitting around the fire at night talking (after most kids are in bed),...it all was very relaxing. I am pretty sure even Eric was able to catch up on his sleep. And THAT is really saying something! Don't know what is in store for next year, maybe we'll try something different, but this year was perfect. I love the beach, I love family time, I love life (except for when I am pregnant, ...and then I love life in a more "enduring-it" kind of way.)
I have now come to the conclusion: that this is a very affordable vacation, that the beach is a place that you will not be hot, will not have to fight crowds all day, can sit and relax while the kids entertain themselves and are happier than if at Disneyland, you can read a book, catch up on sleep, socialize with favorite people including all of your little happy kids, eat good food, take bike rides, wear the kids out so that they eventually start sleeping in (say til like 7:30- 8am), you can take romantic walks with your polar opposite lover (if you have some of those favorite people around to check on kids), you don't have to dress up or be fancy, you get a huge giant dose of Vitamin D, you can exercise if you want to,...oh and don't forget that the vacation also comes with an extra pair of eyes all day long called a LIFEGUARD for a little more comfort. Yes, it's as good of a vacation for kids and parents alike. Do you have any better ideas? If so, please share. Cuz, if you can't tell, ...it's been on my mind. And now for some pictures of our beach adventure. Got most everyone in one shot or another, all except for Eric, who I promise, was really there, too.
Here is Grace, digging a hole.
Camden, skipping a rock?
Grace and Camden, on a rock...
Landon, drying off-
Ethan, taking off...
Camille, learning how to ride a very small two-wheeler with much success...
Tall, skinny, 3-year old Jordan going to town on the scooter!
Camille, preparing to dig for treasure.
Leslie and me, relaxing on Sunday...
Cute chubby 5-month old Caden, happy with mom.
Close up- my Camden.
Kids entertaining themselves...
Group shot: Rodney, Syd, Landon, Connor, Grace, Camille
Grandpa Richard and Bronson, having fun, in the next 3 shots
Camille, Ethan and Jordan, tending to their little crab friends.
Pictures of my boys in the "tray-lure" that Bronson thinks is still ours. (He can't get the rental concept down...)
Friday, August 7, 2009
Is it the Perfect Vacation? What's your opinion?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Looks like the perfect vacation to me! Fun with family, in a wonderful place with a sweet rv!
I was wondering how those RVs are!! sounds like if they can pass your cleanliness test, they must be OK. I have to say, if you were relaxed and had time to read and visit in beautiful weather with gorgeous natural surroundings, with indoor plumbing, knowing your children were safe and around loved ones, that pretty much sounds like the utopian vacation to me! welcome back--
sign me up!!! That sounds like a great vacation. I too, am constantly wondering what the "perfect" way to vacation with kids is. What a great writer you are!
Post a Comment