Tuesday, July 29, 2008

He's a "Full Decade" Old

That is how he puts it, anyway. It's just so much better than saying, "I'm 10". So, a week ago Sunday was Landon's birthday. We were driving through the dry desert lands of Nevada and Arizona, coming home from our CA beach trip and listening to some books on tape after a night's stay in Mesquite.

We had a simple family "birthday party" last week while with our CA family which went something like this: "What night should we have the party? You know what? Let's just have it tonight since Leslie and the kids are here and Elise and Jordan are here. Landon this is your party. It starts now...let me go get the presents and candles. Let's just stick the candles in these brownies. Les, is it ok that we use these brownies for Landon's cake? Ok, thanks. Everyone ready to sing? 'Happy Birthday to you...Happy birthday to you, ...' Ok, open your presents." But, you know what? Landon is such a good boy. He was very grateful for the little party, the board game, the little alarm clock, and the LaCrosse game. And usually, that would be it. But, little did he know, this year would be different. While there in CA, I sent out secret invitations to his Utah friends. Stay tuned for the details of what went down at the surprise party. Here are a few pictures of the "party" at the beach before heading back home.


So, just a few words about our Landon. He is such a neat kid- has always been so cheerful, so grateful, so kind to me, very obedient, creative, smart, funny, and he was meant to be the first born. I can't express to you how helpful he is around the house, especially with his little brothers. They all love him, adore him, idolize him and miss him when he is gone too long. Here are some pictures I have captured over the years to show how much he loves his brothers, epecially when they were babies. Bronson is now benefitting from that extra Landon attention.








Landon, words cannot express how THANKFUL we feel to have had you in our home as the oldest. You are a special boy and EVERYONE notices that. Will you please stop here, though? No more growing, because a "full decade" is nice round stopping point... and in less than another "full decade" you will be off serving a mission. You realize after a while that 10 years is way too short. Landon, we love you!

8 comments:

Christie said...

What a fun look back at your darling boys. Happy birthday, Landon! Ten is a good number to stop. Let them be that for a while, then they can grow up.

Tessa and Jeff said...

I can't believe he's a "decade" old. How time flies. I will be excited to hear how the suprise party goes. He will for sure be a great missionary someday.

Elise said...

Yes, he is a very sweet boy. So patient when Jordan jumps right on his stomach from out of no where. You know he was bugged, but he just smiled and kind of rolled him off. I love that last picture with the missionary. He will be the best, but let's just take one year at a time eh? Not too fast now.

Jessie said...

Becky, he is definitely your son! I cannot believe how much he takes after you...maybe it's the nose? I'm happy he's such a good kid...he and Harry would probably get along well...both 10-yr-old firstborn sons of all boys!

Becky said...

Yes, he really looks a lot like me. And...you are probably right about, ..."the nose"! :) If I can see the resemblance, then I know it's really making itself known to everyone else for sure! My little twin.

Shelly and Tom said...

Wow...in Landon's earlier years...he looks like Ethan and Camden! So crazy! He's a great kid!

Jaimee said...

I love that kid! Happy Birthday..I love teaching him and can't wait to do it again hopefully starting in Nov! I love all those pics there so cute and he is such a loving boy, good job raising him mom!

meg said...

It can't be happening already!! They can't be 10!! Julia wants her ears pierced. Wow. I loved Landon's pictures - such great memories! Tell him "happy birthday" from us!