Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The "Storage Space" Post



I have been meaning to show a couple of pictures of our new storage space. I am so excited about this! I never imagined how happy storage space would make me. It's more exciting than um...Disneyland or...a shake from Charlie's. In our basement we had this unfinished storage room that we really couldn't use. It's about 12 feet tall, 5 feet wide, and probably 15+ feet long (it runs along under the length of the porch). Well, as unexciting as it sounds we had some shelves built with the top shelf being 9 feet high. I just need to keep a step ladder in there for the top shelves which are holding some suitcases and sleeping bags. Now I can really get serious about storing food, you see.

For those of you who are not members of the LDS church, the idea is to be prepared. For what you might ask? I am not sure, ...but really, for anything. In fact, as an example, one time in Texas, there was some bad weather coming or something. Everyone raided the store and bought every last stinkin' bottle of water. Gone...like in an hour or less. So, we like to store food and water for any such reason. You never know. And like I have said before, it would really be a huge bummer, to say the least, for me to be knockin' on a neighbor's door, wishing upon a star that they'll share with us and our big-eater boys. Thus, we now have plenty of storage and a great start on our year's worth of food. In fact all the food that I have been collecting doesn't even put a dent in the many shelves of storage we now have, so... bring on over your goods,..cuz we've got STORAGE SPACE, yes we do. Doing a little dance right now, singing, "We have got storage space-sp-sp space!" We have no furniture in a few rooms, but hey,...we have space to store! (You can't eat the furniture in an emergency, after all right?!?!)
So, thank you, storage space shelf man! I love you.

10 comments:

Rachel Mai said...

Oh man, to not be homeless or unprepared! I'm so jealous. Miss you guys.

Jacqueline said...

Okay now, I try to not be green with envy, or covet when people have, or keep up with Jones's, or wish for worldly things, or compete with other's besides me, but oh my, what I could do with that storage room. Be so happy you live in Utah where smart builders put in basements! Congrats to you!

meg said...

Beautiful!! Storage space of any kind is nothing but beautiful. You're a lucky girl!

Sharyn said...

Becky,
I'm jealous too. I would kill for that kind of space. And, yes, you are lucky for living in Utah with basements. I remember how cool that room was; perfect for storing your food supply. With all the flooding going on in the midwest, there is a hugh loss in food; food prices are definitely going up.
You are a smart and funny girl. But then, I'm so prejudiced.
Love, Mom

karen said...

One day, oh, one day, I'll have storage space for my two bath towels, let alone three vats of potato pearls. Just got back from Temple--took a photo of your home for old time's sake--check my blog soon for photos. it was weird not having you there.

Elise said...

Awesome! Now you just need to "arm yourself" with something to keep away all of the people who are not prepared when a disaster comes. So that when they are desperate for food and come knocking at (pounding in) your door you can "shoo" them away. That's Jason's theory :)
Nice work on the food storage! We are trying to get organized with ours too, but I would LOVE to have that much space! Lucky.

Leslie said...

JEALOUS... that's all. What a food storage dream space-a-rooni!

The Collingwood Family said...

how aweseome - I love it!!!

Melissa and Company said...

Just another jealous person adding to the list! I would LOVE to have a basement and an awesome storage space like that!!! Squeezing all that stuff in a linen closet or unused, ergonomically-challenged corner spaces just makes the whole idea of rotation something to strive for in the next life. . . Until then. . .

Kendra said...

Hi! The recent jump in the price of all food has reinforced for me the logic behing (or, yet another reason for) food storage. If I had a years worth of stuff, I could be eating that instead of buying it at a premium right now. Then restock when prices return to normal. The storage space is gorgeous! It makes you the kind of happy that verifies to your kids that grownups are weird!