Saturday, January 12, 2008

Gratitude

Lately, I have been a very ungrateful person. Blogging is for keeping in touch, having a creative outlet, and also for journaling what is important in life. I need a list- a gratitude list. Here are 10 things I am most grateful for:

1. To be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and know I have a Savior- (and I am blanket sweeping everything else in there too that has to do with the church, like our prophet, leaders, scriptures, etc., so as not to waste one of my numbers.) Growing up in the church, you tend to take it all for granted. I try not to. I love knowing who I am, where I am going and what I am doing in the meantime in order to get there. Doesn't make it easy though, almost more difficult...I love knowing that there is a Heavenly Father who loves ME. Yep, ME. (and you too). I love knowing that doing what is right and being a good person continues to build my character. It's good. It's all all all good!

2. To be married to a man who is loving, a great father, smart, protective, handsome, a good provider, and tries hard to do the right things.

3. To have 4 cute, happy boys with funny, unique personalities. They are turning into really nice kids who often thank me for what I do and tell me they love me. That is always a nice return.

4. To have the conveniences we enjoy in life. I was talking to Eric the other day as we were enjoying our fireplace and it hit me. I said, "the reality is that there are so many people in the world trying to sleep or to get comfortable but they can't because they are hungry and cold or worried about their sick, cold, children. Think of all the different countries and different living conditions,...but here we are, perfectly comfy." So, if I am cold, I go get another blanket and slippers...or ....hmmm, ...do you want some hot chocolate? Wanna watch a movie by satellite? Put some ice cubes in my drink, please, from the ice maker...I wouldn't want my water to be room temp, right? Sometimes I think I need a visual of certain things to keep me humble and grateful. Sometimes I think it's sad that I am so comfortable and others aren't. How do we deal with that??? Be grateful and generous. That is all we can do.

5. For good schools/teachers/education for our kids- and to live here in Utah. (Never thought I would settle in Utah. I had my reservations, believe me... But, Utah is a great place- so many things to love here...so. many. things.!)

6. For a car that gets us from place to place- (hopefully not gonna break down any time soon- it's all about the maintenance, you know,...surely you know that, right? Don't EVER neglect the routine maintenance- just a little Becky Tip, that I picked up from that great man that I am married to.) Oh yeah, and the dirt on the car scratches the paint, FYI...keep the car clean if you don't want scratches. "it's like sand scratching the surface"...(another tip from that clean, clean, handsome man.)

7. To not have to work outside of the home...(I mean sometimes I shovel the walks outside of the home, but you know what I mean.) I am a lucky girl...such a lucky girl. And it's even better to truly believe that this is where I am supposed to be. The icing on the cake for me.

8. To be a girl. I love being a girl. Always have- but my dresses NEVER twirled like I wanted them to...(it's ok, mom, I forgive)...I choose pink any chance I get. I have pink pajamas, pink slippers, a pink robe, ...I have to be set apart from the others around here. Pink, pink, pink. I never liked pink so much as when I looked around and noticed that I had 5 boys around me. Side note again: I baby sat for a family who had 4 boys before their first girl. Oh how I felt sorry for them that they had all boys. I thought that was awful. Now and then I feel that sorrow from other people when they find out I have all boys. Honestly, I was really hoping for a girl in there somewhere. And I still dream about American Girl dolls from time to time. But, when I think about life as it is- you know, surrounded by boys,...I just have to SMILE. It's cool, it's really really something special. I feel special that it happened to me- it's true. A mom and her boys. I'm fine, just just fine.

9. To have such good friends from all phases of my life...and such awesome new neighbors, one of who acted as my AAA person, rushing to my rescue with a snow shovel and some moral support yesterday, as I found myself stuck in someone's icy driveway. New Becky Tip: (Don't put the "petal to the metal" when you are trying to take advantage of the tire treads. It just not gonna work. You will spin yourself into further trouble. Ease on into it...nice and easy.)

10. That Eric and I have great parents and siblings. Thanks for all the company on the phone, Lisie. Love sharing life and mom stories.

Of course, there is much much more, but that is a good summary of the things I am most grateful for. That was good for me.

NOW, WHAT ARE YOU MOST GRATEFUL FOR???

3 comments:

Elise said...

I'm sure I would be better company on the phone if I didn't have so many dropped calls. :)

Karie said...

So I think you took all my thoughts on a grateful list!!! LOL, I'll work on my list soon.

Heather said...

my list would look almost identical!! I often think about how grateful I am to be a girl and I truly do love being THE girl in a house full of boys.