Saturday, December 22, 2007

Thanks, Doctor Dad!




Well, it finally happened. Stitches in our family of boys. I KNEW that it would happen to HIM first. Poor Camden...his amazing day of sledding ended with a big gash in his head. Have you ever EVER been sledding where someone doesn't think it's a great idea to build a "jump"? Me either. Have you ever gone home without seeing SOMEONE get hurt because of the jump? Me either.

It was a neighborhood sledding party. Lots of 4-wheelers, donuts, hot chocolate. We got a knock on the door with an invitation to suit up the boys and bring them "up". Well, "up" they went with Eric. And down the long, long, hill they went, over and over. Adults on 4-wheelers were bringing kids back on up as fast as they would sled down. Camden said, "I saw the 'jump' and thought in my head,...'Oh no! Not the jump!'...and my sled just went that way, ...and BAM!" Someone scooped him up and put him in the back of Eric's car- and waited for Eric to finish his run so he could take Camden and the boys home.

I knew something happened by the, "Beck? Come help please!" Out the door I went, to the garage, to find Camden in the back of Eric's car, bleeding- (you know head wounds and how they bleed!) Me: "Does he need stitches?" Eric: "Oh yeah." We called an older neighborhood boy over to help watch the kids and off to Eric's clinic we went. There was dried blood all over Cam's forehead, down his neck, on his ear. It was so hard not to imagine how I would feel if it were an accident much worse, ...but so EASY to be grateful that it wasn't.

Camden was laying on the table, as Eric was opening up cupboard and drawers trying to find supplies. He said: "Does dad have to do surgery on me? I can't believe I have to have surgery!" I explained it all to him, that it wasn't surgery,... but there is no easy way to answer the question: "Well, is there a needle?" After some flawless local anesthesia on a brave 5 year old, I watched the Good Doctor Dad place some internal stitches in our little boys' head. The hole was gaping- he kept stuffing sterile gauze in there to soak up the blood- I turned away several times. No pain for Cam. Good job Eric.

Driving home: "Thanks dad."
"You're welcome, Bud."

2 comments:

Christie said...

Now aren't you glad you didn't marry that plumber you had your eye on in college? Yes, indeed, all those years have finally proven useful for you.

Seriously - holy crap! My boys would have done the same thing. Only we'd be waiting for five hours at the ER, and it would cost us $200, and I'd forbid them ever to play again in their lives. Look how nicely it worked out for Cam?

karen said...

NOOOOO! Poor little Cam, he looks so pitiful and serious in those photos. You ARE indeed lucky he didn't fare worse--my bro in law (Susan's husband Howard)just had major spine surgery from an injury he sustained when he was sledding and went on a jump and came down wrong and jacked up his neck/back when he was little (he has a huge arachnoid cyst full of CSF, to be technical). Luckily Cam's stitches will go away--I'm sorry you had to go through that--it's so traumatic for moms to watch their kids bleed!