Sunday, April 27, 2014

The News: Car and York; Selfish?



Here it is:  the battle that always resurfaces about balance and money and needs vs. wants.  I don't have any answers.  We try to do our best in all that we do.  We try to give generously, serve where needed, have an attitude of gratitude, etc.  So, "go for it" I said to him.  "Just go get it".  And he did.  Eric doesn't like to spend money on himself, but he's been thinking about a little sports car for a few years now (probably more like 40 years).  A couple of weeks ago he decided to buy one and I am happy for him.  It's cute and so is he.  


The other thing is that last week I had the chance to visit New York City.  I've never been.  I went with a friend, Jackie Peterson, who had been a few times before.  It was nice to go with someone who knew what she was doing.  We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, rode the Subway, saw the temple, ate good food, took a ferry to Staten Island and saw the Statue of Liberty, rode bikes in Central Park, saw a show, took pictures in Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, slept in, walked and walked and walked, and then walked a little more.  It was a great experience and I am grateful I had the chance to see it all.


I have started taking a new series of online classes called Soul Integrity Mentorship.  It's taught by Staci Sadler who wrote Aura Personalities.  I am learning so much and what I have learned lately ties right into this post (well, kind of).  It's very natural to have the belief that if we think about ourselves then we are selfish.  But, the truth really is proving to be true that when we take care of ourselves and do the things for ourselves that allow us to feel rejuvenated, peaceful and connected, we can so much better serve those around us.  Now,  I am not necessarily saying that we need to head to New York or to go buy a new car.  What I am saying is that we need to be thinking about the things we do daily or during the week that provide nourishment and peace for ourselves.  Is it exercise, like taking a run alone, yoga?  Is it meditation and scripture reading and prayer, writing in a journal, massage, quiet time, time to sit and think for a moment?  How about a hike to a remote mountain area, time with your spouse, sitting in the sauna, taking a bath at night?  Think about all the things that help you to come away feeling happy and ready to serve and then practice it.  Practice taking care of yourself to keep that balance and to feel centered.  

My goal is to start appreciating and taking care of myself better.  It is not selfish.  It is about realizing how important I am to my creator, and seeing how much I am loved.  When I love myself, take care of myself and see my immense value and worth to my God, ... I can share that light with all around me.  Like I said, this has always been a foreign concept to me.  I watched a "burned out" mother much of the time trying and trying to keep giving- sometimes with resentment hanging in the air.  I remember all the times she let my dad take us out to do something and didn't want to go.  You see, I didn't realize it but she was taking the time to recharge alone.  To think and to ponder.  She needed that time to let her mind be free and open to begin again.  I don't know if she even realized what she was doing was exactly what she needed.  I can respect that now and I will start respecting my own needs as well.  I am worth it, I am important, I am loved.  And I will honor those truths.  I challenge you to try it as well.  It feels GREAT! 

1 comments:

Shari said...

I am your biggest supporter!! I believe in this with all my heart. When I provide this care for myself I am
such a better mom, wife and daughter of God.