I catch myself yelling, "calm down in there", as I listen to 3 boys in the bathtub, one choking on the water, and 2 arguing. I am on the computer for a break...to pass a little more time. It's been a full day. It's carried on though without a hitch, all my driving, and Sam's Club-ing. Well, there was one hitch. I was out of gas, ...I barely made it (so I thought) to Sam's Club. Go to get out of the car and fill up, ...no wallet. Camden said a prayer that we could make it home and back without running out. 9 minutes back home, 9 minutes back. I made it and filled it up with 19 gallons (20 gallon tank I assume). Whew. Close one. No raising my voice all day today. Until dinner,...I exploded over the boys making pig noises into their cups. On and on and on. I don't know where the explosion came from. I even surprised myself. Repent later. I really am working on it.
I am about half way through the week of Eric being gone. He is in Germany. I know. I did just buy a rotisserie chicken for their dinner (chicken, guac., salsa in whole wheat tortilla, strawberries on the side) to ease the work load for tonight. All in all we are doing fine, but...right now,...they need to be nice and cozy in their beds. All of them. Really soon, but it won't happen unless I stop typing.
I have 2 shows to watch tonight and I am looking forward to the peace knowing that my children will be in the right place,... bed. For those of you who know me, I don't watch TV. UNLESS, it's American Idol and now I have "The Biggest Loser" on DVR. For motivation's sake. And I might eat a Skinny Cow ice cream treat while watching, if I can only have just one.
About Germany. Eric went to follow a really great older spine surgeon there. He has come up with quite a few techniques in the field. It's a great opportunity for him. After the conferences and surgeries, etc., he is driving over to Switzerland to do some skiing in The Alps. I know. Pretty cool. Then he'll visit a really old castle, (something I know nothing about) then drive back to Germany for a couple more cool castles, ...and back home to us by Saturday night. Skyping is a miracle of a technology. We could see him on the computer! And talk...for FREE. Why use a cell phone at $2/minute if you can skype??? I couldn't get a word in with 4 boys on my lap, but hey, ...I could see him. Can't wait to see a lot more of him. Saturday. This has been Becky on a crazy Tuesday night. My peace is just around the corner- patience. Patience. The challenge is invigorating.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
A Little Peace on the Home Front, Please?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



13 comments:
I'm totally peeing my pants right now!!! Pig noises??? Do we really have to repent? :)
And Skype is a miracle, isn't it? Skype has been our savior on more than one of Adam's trips to China--and especially when we were in Bogota. I want to see a video of your boys skyping with dad!!!!
Germany? sweet. Skinny Cow? That sounds delightful. I may have to go raid my fridge right this very second. Single-momming it at home w/o Eric? Well, it depends. Sometimes I can get into a pretty great groove with the kids when Marc is gone. It's just how one's mood is. I can also go berserk and order them all to bed at 5:30 in the afternoon.
Dang, you should have gone with him. I'm impressed with your dinner choice though. When Josh is gone, it's usually mac and cheese or pancakes. At least your kids had a well-balanced meal!
Okay, I totally feel your pain. Alone is not good. Alone during the day is great for me (which is why it never happens), but alone from 4pm and on is hellish! Good luck to my sweet friend. And I'll try to wish Eric a happy trip while I feel all too much for YOU!
Do you remember when you drove to The Woodlands with me before you had kids? Whitney and Stephen cried, shrieked and kicked the seats the whole time. Now that was a fun trip! You were very patient and tolerant and you do a great job with your own boys now. No worries Ms. Becky. You are a great Mom! (And once in a while -- great Mom's can go crazy over pig noises.)
I totally know about the just needing the kids in bed. There just happen to be those days. Anyway, love Skype too. It got Ryan and I through Iraq. I can't to try my hand at skiing in the Alps. . .one day. Good luck this week, I hate when the hubby is gone.
I loved hearing all about your day this morning from you in person...made for an even better story! You are such a great mommy Becky and I think that you being in the middle of Eric being gone, 4 kids and only one time yelling at them...cmon you deserve the best mom award for that!! I would of yelled way before now and probably on more than one occasion! It was fun visiting today and I want to make it something we do more often..Bronson is the cutest and I love that him and Spencer are the same age! So next time my place and no guilt whatsoever!!! Loved it! O and thanks for the yummy food/protein shake :) Very delish!!
I have been thinking a lot about the yelling thing lately too. I hate it when I yell. Feels good for a few seconds and then. . . remorse. I had a bad mommy night this last week (not my only bad mommy moment of the week, but one that sticks out). I'll have to explain it to you over the phone. It's actually kind of funny, but I'm too embarrassed to explain it here. Not to mention that it's not the place for sharing a lengthy story :)
Miss you guys! Jordan talks about his cousins all the time--each by name.
I think I felt this way every night Adam was gone over the past 3+ months. And dinnertime was the absolute worst!!! My boys were crazy. They just needed their dad around to establish some order. It can be so wearing that I would usually be counting down til bedtime so I could have some peace. Hang in there!!
I love that Camden's prayer worked. The rotisserie chicken was genius. It's worth it to feel like you get a decent meal without having to make one when you're spent.
Way to hang in there while holding the fort down and you get extra points for being happy for Eric's opportunity.
Thanks for keeping it real. It's funny how motherhood can be so rewarding and so maddening at the same time! LOL. Regardless if you yeld at your boys or not I know they will grow up to be the sort of young men I would want Daria to find herself with, besides who would want their daughter to marry a man whose mother didn't try to stop him from making pig noises at the table. :o)
NO, seriously--I can't believe you EVEN got me a gift! I am so so so thankful for all of those clothes that you handed down to me and then you go and get me a gift? Me no deservy (I know it's for the baby, but still). Thanks you though!
And yes, I can't wait to jump on the "get this baby weight off" bandwagon with you. You are looking great though! Not much left for you eh?
Becky,
I completely feel for you! You are strong, just like you told me in my post a week ago!!
You can do it!!!!
What a fun learning adventure for Eric, it is too bad you couldn't join him:( maybe next time?
Post a Comment